LET THE FOOD BECOME YOUR TOUR GUIDE


Hi,

I'm Nikki and I live in beautiful Portland, OR. I am a lover of foods and also travel. So, I thought it would be fun to combine the two.

I know my favorite part of my vacations is the different foods I get to try that represent those regions. Foods are the thumbprint of a city. The foods people eat support life, they express their history, and they bring cultures together. Sounds great to me. I suppose that's why I "live food" full-time now....as a culinary student.

If you're interested in food and travel and would like to learn a little more about the food, sights, and culture of a few places around the world then this may be the blog for you. If you think so too, I'm looking forward to having you come along with me on this journey.

Bon Voyage & Bon Appetit!

Sunday, April 21, 2013

FABULOUS LONDON, ENGLAND

"Look Kids - Big Ben, Parliament!"                                                             *European Vacation


Moving along in our cultural journey, we are off to our next destination - the fabulous London, England.  I think I have been wanting to go here since I saw the movie European Vacation when I was much younger.   It started a fascination I have with Europe that I have always carried with me. 




First, A Trip Down Memory Lane.....


As a teenager, I was lucky enough to visit five different countries in Europe:  Switzerland; Germany; France; Italy; and Holland.   It was a European food and hospitality industry tour that I took for credit with the college I was attending.  The food was fabulous and we had the opportunity to meet with different chefs and watch them in action.   Specifically, I remember watching one of the chefs making a wonderful loaf of bread which was served to us alongside a lovely lunch.

For the majority of the rest of our time in those countries, our choice of meals was left up to us, the students, and choose we did.  One of everything if memory serves.   After our memorable meal in Switzerland, we moved on to France.  It was there that I discovered the sweet simplicity of a crunchy baguette smeared with creamy butter and a little jam.   In Germany, we decided we would not leave without trying a fantastic bratwurst with all the trimmings.   I may be a vegetarian now, but that is one yummy meal I will remember.   In Italy, the smell of coffee filled the air and I ate mouth-watering pizza with a crust you could write a sonnet about.  Oh, and we finished it off with scrumptious gelato right down the street from the Vatican City.   We tasted every flavor just to be certain if wasn't our imagination how wonderful it was!   Unfortunately, my trip to Amsterdam was a quick one for the purpose of seeing Anne Frank's Secret Annex (absolutely incredible) and I did not get to taste the wonderful foods available in that city.  Sounds like it's time for a trip back someday, but right now we're going to London!


HISTORY


London, founded by the Romans, is the capital city of England and is the largest city in the United Kingdom.  It is a diverse and historical city founded originally by the Romans.  London is now considered a "Global City" and is one of the financial centers of the world.  It is very rich in tradition, culture, arts, and education which makes it a fascinating place to visit.   

London, the Seat of Government for the United Kingdom, is governed by a Prime Minister.  The British Monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, is Head of State.

London has many wonderful things to offer a visitor.   Listed among the most iconic would include the famous red phone booths, the charming double-decker buses, and the London Underground railway system.  Make sure to look for those when you visit.

   

BEST TIME TO VISIT


The best time to visit London is in the spring when the weather is mild and all of the world's beautiful, earthly treasures are in bloom.   London has an oceanic climate so be prepared for a bout of rain or two when you're visiting.  You've heard of the infamous "London Fog," right?   Wait. Come to think of it, this sounds a lot like Portland, OR!  Perhaps that's why it's on my list of places I would enjoy as I do love the city I call "home."  

 


TOP ATTRACTIONS


There's no shortage of sights to see here.   My top ten are listed below:

  1. Buckingham Palace (British Monarchy)
  2. Windsor Castle (1 of Queen's residences)
  3. Big Ben (Clock tower, pictured at right)
  4. Houses of Parliament (British Government)
  5. London Eye (Giant ferris wheel)
  6. Stonehenge (Prehistoric Site) 
  7. Tower of London (Home of Crown Jewels)
  8. Westminster Abbey (Famous Church)
  9. York Minster (Gothic Cathedral)
  10. Shakespeare's Globe Theater (Playhouse)


PASS THAT MALT VINEGAR, IT'S FISH AND CHIPS TIME!


London has some wonderful foods (and drinks) to offer with a lot of variety.   The food establishments are generally a combination of restaurants for all budgets, Pubs, and now street food.   Street vendors are growing in popularity and number there and a variety of International cuisines can be found.   The street food is somewhat less expensive than a restaurant can be, but not by as much as one would expect. 




Here's some traditional foods not to be missed:


  • Fish & Chips (Battered, deep-fried fish served with fries)
  • Scotch Eggs (Hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage & coated in bread crumbs)
  • Meat Pies (Shepard's Pie)
  • Savory Puddings (Steak & Ale)
  • Bangers (Sausage) & Mash (Taters) with Onion Gravy
  • Breakfast Fry-Up (Traditional breakfast, but all fried!)


No doubt you will be thirsty after all that.   I recommend finishing it off with one of their famous stouts or perhaps you're more in the mood for a Spot of Tea?  Either way, you're going to leave London with a full belly and the wonderful memories of the fun experiences you had there. 


How is London's Food Defined?


I think the best way to summarize the food of London is to note that their cuisine is evolving.   Mostly known in the past for their crunchy and delicious fried foods, famous stouts, teas, and other signature dishes named, there has been a shift to make other worldly cuisine available there.   You're sure to be able to find all the traditional foods so that you can decide which one is your favorite, but you might also find other International dishes available there that you may not be expecting.  My research suggests that curry is actually the current dish of choice there for many. No matter the dish, expect that there might be a glass of stout or ale not far away as Londoners, generally speaking, seem to love their beer!   Once again, I'm seeing a Portland similarity.  *For a great site that expands on the fabulous foods of London, I recommend Food Lovers Meetup.


I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit more about the fabulous city of London, England and the deliciousness that it has to offer!   I know I can't wait to see it and experience it for myself! 

Cheerio!



I'm off to Manila, Philippines next.   There's sure to be some exciting and different yummy foods to discover there.   I hope you'll tag along! 




No comments:

Post a Comment