LET THE FOOD BECOME YOUR TOUR GUIDE


Hi,

I'm Nikki and I live in beautiful Portland, OR. I am a lover of foods and also travel. So, I thought it would be fun to combine the two.

I know my favorite part of my vacations is the different foods I get to try that represent those regions. Foods are the thumbprint of a city. The foods people eat support life, they express their history, and they bring cultures together. Sounds great to me. I suppose that's why I "live food" full-time now....as a culinary student.

If you're interested in food and travel and would like to learn a little more about the food, sights, and culture of a few places around the world then this may be the blog for you. If you think so too, I'm looking forward to having you come along with me on this journey.

Bon Voyage & Bon Appetit!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

THE MARVELOUS FOODS & HISTORY OF ATHENS, GREECE

Why Athens Is Tops On My To-Do List!

When I was in grade school, we were assigned a Greek mythology book to read.   I was hooked from the beginning.  Gods and mortals. Villains and heroes.  Love stories and stories of revenge.  What's not to like?  


Now that I'm in my forties, I have carried it with me all these years and still long to go there.  It's making it's way farther up my priority list and may be a trip I take with my now twelve-year old son in the next two years. He's turned out to be a mythology buff too!  As a food lover and also a current culinary student, I am head over heels in love with food.  Specifically, over the past few years I have grown increasingly interested in Mediterranean foods and try to make them in my home as much as possible.      

History

Athens is full of incredible history and is the origin of democracy.  It is also considered the birthplace of Classical Greece and is referred to as the Historical Capital of Europe.  Although historical, apparently there it wasn't a very tourist-friendly place prior to the 2004 Olympics.  However, the Olympics brought in a lot of money to Athens and helped to transform and update it, making it an excellent choice for a historical visit.      


When to Visit

Athens has a mild climate, but its summers are particularly hot so a visit is recommended in either the spring or the fall.  By visiting at these times of the year, it is likely that you will have wonderful weather to explore the city and find all those yummy dishes you've been dreaming about.

Top Attractions

It would be hard to appreciate Athens without taking in all the history it has to offer.  There are so many things to see and do there.  The good news is that wonderful food to go along with these top spots are usually close by.  I've listed my top five spots to visit below. 
  • Acropolis - "Sacred Rock of Athens" &             The Parthenon (Temple of Athena)
  • Temple of Olympian Zeus 
  • Sounion - Poseidon's Temple
  • Plaka (Athen's District) Tower of Winds
  • Parliament of Greece

Ahhhhh, The Food!

There are so many wonderful foods of Greece.  You will have no trouble finding something delicious and yummy food to eat all over the city, even if you follow a vegetarian diet.   For dinner, though, it should be noted that generally people in Greece eat late and dinners generally start at 8:00 p.m.!   Then, it's off to the nightclubs for dancing if that's your thing.   It's certainly a great way to work off some of those calories!  Some of the foods you can expect to see, and should definitely search out while you're there, include:


  • Pita bread stuffed with Souvlaki (grilled meat), Tzatziki (a creamy sauce made of yogurt, garlic and cucumber - delicious!), fresh vegetables, and Greek cheese (generally Feta). 
  • Spinach Pies (known as Spanokopita) or cheese pies
  • Dolmades (Grape Leaves stuffed with rice, nuts, dill, mint & lemon)
  • Mousaka (Eggplant Parmageon)
  • Finish off your meal with a Frappe (cold coffee drink) or enjoy with Hima (House wine)


What is Greek Food......Besides Incredibly Yummy?

Greek food, and Mediterranean foods, are magical to me.   The natural flavors and richness of the foods are evident in everything they do.  As mentioned below, the appeal to me of this food is its simplicity and how well the ingredients they choose go together.  Greek food is earthy and not too heavy on the palate.  It is light and the addition of lemon or other lovely flavors balance their dishes nicely.

The site www.VisitGreece.com  describes four different characteristics to Greek cuisines:
  1. Quality, fresh ingredients
  2. Correct use of flavorings/spices such as oregano, thyme, and mint
  3. Greek Olive Oil
  4. Simplicity
Those characteristics really seem to sum up why Greek food is so wonderful.   The great news is that food is plentiful in Athens.  Additionally, it is easy to find and also order since a larger number of merchants speak English.   The restaurants are plentiful, but so is the street food.   If you are looking for a true Greek food experience, your stay should combine restaurant meals as well as grabbing food on the go.   That combination should give some insight in to the types of food and ingredients used as well as the wonderful flavors that accompany them. 


Is it time for your next adventure?    If so, this could be the one!   There are more cities to come in this blog, though.  Stick around and see which one is for you! 





   



No comments:

Post a Comment