LET THE FOOD BECOME YOUR TOUR GUIDE


Hi,

I'm Nikki and I live in beautiful Portland, OR. I am a lover of foods and also travel. So, I thought it would be fun to combine the two.

I know my favorite part of my vacations is the different foods I get to try that represent those regions. Foods are the thumbprint of a city. The foods people eat support life, they express their history, and they bring cultures together. Sounds great to me. I suppose that's why I "live food" full-time now....as a culinary student.

If you're interested in food and travel and would like to learn a little more about the food, sights, and culture of a few places around the world then this may be the blog for you. If you think so too, I'm looking forward to having you come along with me on this journey.

Bon Voyage & Bon Appetit!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

KEEP PORTLAND WEIRD!

PORTLAND, OREGON


Welcome to my second Weekly Feature on Portland, OR.  I'm glad to have you along with me today. We learned a little about the food carts of Portland.  Now let's move on to the fun quirkiness here and see what we can find out about the slogan "Keep Portland Weird."   


So this is my new hometown and I love it!  I love every weird thing that happens here (mostly).  Why?  Because that weirdness is what gives this city the biggest personality I've ever seen.   It's also accompanied by a lot of heart, compassion, and let's certainly not forget humor.   Humor makes us laugh, it heals, it comforts, and it brings us together.  Don't worry about those laugh lines....just enjoy and stick around - you'll be glad you did!


WHO WOULD WANT TO BE WEIRD?


Not me, that's for sure.  Well, not as a teenager or even as a young adult.  I was way too cool for that...at least I thought I was.  My mom was always weird and I mean that as a really good thing.   People loved and adored her.  They embraced her "weirdness" and soaked it up like a sponge.  It was fun and she was fun.  She was herself 100% of the time and she never made any apologies for it, nor did she need to.  She lived her life to the fullest and I miss her everyday.



My son and I having fun in the
hat shop at Disneyland!
There's a certain self-discovery that comes with realizing you've been wrong about something your whole life.  Being weird doesn't take away your ability to be level-headed, it just means you're free to be yourself and express your individuality.  Since we're all one of a kind, I should think of no one else you would want to be.  This is a life-lesson for me and one I continually work on.  Recently, I got a sign for my son that reads, "Be yourself.  No one can tell you you're doing it wrong."  It lets him know he's fantastic just the way he is and reminds me to relax, so I try to refer to it often. 



HAS ANYONE NOTICED PORTLAND IS A LITTLE WEIRD?


It's entirely possible that the idea might have found its way outside of the Portland area.  I'm not certain, I just suspect - that's all.

Actually, they even made a TV show about it (Portlandia).  It's hysterical and very entertaining. I've even heard it referred to as a documentary as opposed to sattire!



weird

  
[weerd]  adjective, weird·er, weird·est, noun adjective


1.
involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny: a weird soundweird lights.
2.
fantastic; bizarre: a weird getup.
3.
Archaic. concerned with or controlling fate or destiny



WHAT DO WE MEAN EXACTLY BY "WEIRD?"




Well, I suppose we'll start with a man (I presume) riding a unicycle who is dressed in a kilt, a cape, and a Darth Vader mask while carrying, and possibly even playing, bagpipes.  

Seemed like a good place to start. 


Subarus, VW's, and Volvos are definitely popular choices around here, but so is the fantastic mode of transportation pictured here.  It could be any model really.   It's the fancy decor that makes it so special.   

I've seen more than a few of these in my time here and they are always great fun to look at!  


Portland is bike central, but it seems that bikes are not the only things that are protected with lock and key here.  As you can see, someone has safely secured their hula hoop until their return.   

Wise move.
I am certain hula hoop thieves are just lying in wait for people who foolishly just lean them up against something when they're not being used. 




People are so considerate here.  I know if I had lost my chicken (if I had one), I would be so appreciative that someone took the time to create a flyer to reunite us as soon as possible.  

Really, I would. 








IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?   NO, NOT AT ALL...HERE'S MORE!




This 452 square inch green space in between two walkways in Downtown Portland, OR was officially designated as Mill Ends Park in 1948 and was recognized as such by Guinness in the year 1971. 

It's a must see if you come here....although you'll have to look closely to find it! 



I know I love living in a place where I have so many options when it comes to delicious Vegetarian and Vegan cuisine.....I just didn't know I had options that applied to holiday decorations as well. 

Looks like I need to become a little more informed on this topic.  




Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland, OR offers even more than a groovy environment where you can feast on creative and delicious doughnuts - you can also get married there with a (wait for it) doughnut centerpiece as your wedding cake!  

Fantastically weird!  





For further reading on the matter, I also recommend taking a look at the "You Might Be From Portland If...." list.



SO, WILL YOU COME TO THE DARK SIDE?



Well, there you have it.  Thinking of visiting or maybe even relocating?   First, consider if you have what it takes to become one of us.

I know you have it in you, you just need to become a little bit more in touch with your dark (A.K.A. "weird") side.  It's not difficult, it just means it's time to express yourself or at least come with the understanding that you will see some great and different things here, meet some really welcoming people, eat some fantastic food, and have the time of your life....like I am.

Hope to see you in Portland fellow food lovers!


Now it's time to get back to our journey....we're still in the Orient and on our way to the fast-paced city of Tokyo, Japan.  

Sayonara for now!



1 comment: