LET THE FOOD BECOME YOUR TOUR GUIDE


Hi,

I'm Nikki and I live in beautiful Portland, OR. I am a lover of foods and also travel. So, I thought it would be fun to combine the two.

I know my favorite part of my vacations is the different foods I get to try that represent those regions. Foods are the thumbprint of a city. The foods people eat support life, they express their history, and they bring cultures together. Sounds great to me. I suppose that's why I "live food" full-time now....as a culinary student.

If you're interested in food and travel and would like to learn a little more about the food, sights, and culture of a few places around the world then this may be the blog for you. If you think so too, I'm looking forward to having you come along with me on this journey.

Bon Voyage & Bon Appetit!

Sunday, May 5, 2013

FAST-PACED TOKYO, JAPAN


AN EXCITING METROPOLIS


Tokyo is the capital of Japan and one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world.   It is definitely exciting and yet, at the same time, full of history, tradition, and culture.


I have been fascinated by Asian culture and it has played a large role in my life.   As I mentioned in a previous post, my son is 1/4 Filipino so I have come to learn a lot about Asian culture.  What I so love much again goes back once again to the word "simplicity."   Japanese people seem to have a true appreciation for food, art, culture, tradition and life.  They seem to take nothing for granted.


When I think of Japan in its entirety, I think of pink cherry blossoms first that perfectly frame the stunning cultural areas and beautiful, tranquil gardens they are known for.  A palette of watercolors against sharp, red and black pagodas such as the one pictured here. When I think of Tokyo, I think of the word "energy."   A fast-paced mecca of lights, technology, and skyscrapers with people crammed in every crevice.  Then, because I'm a food lover my mind naturally drifts to food.  When I think of Japanese food, I do not automatically picture delicious street fare that my research has revealed.  Instead I think of simple, clean flavors with an appreciation for each ingredient in the dish that is so ingrained in their culture and heritage.

In reality, all of these things and so much more are Tokyo, Japan.


HISTORY


Tokyo Prefecture (sub-national area) merged with the City of Tokyo and the Tokyo Metropolis was formed in 1943. Tokyo is one of the world's major financial centers, the seat of Japan's government, and home of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.  Beyond the excitement, combined with the beauty, tradition, history, & delicious cuisine, Japan is also known for its cutting-edge animation, "techie" gadgets, the famous movie monster "Godzilla", & most recently the devastating tsunami of 2011.   There's a whole lot more....check out some other things not to be missed that you'll find only in Tokyo.


WHEN TO VISIT


Once again, spring and fall are the most pleasant times of the year to plan the trip of a lifetime here.   In spring, you will see the lovely cherry blossoms in bloom....a sight that cannot be rivaled by much.   Summer is the most popular season for family travel and also the warmest.  Additionally, it is the rainy season and a chance of typhoons (yikes again) is a possibility.   Winter temperatures can be very cold, but discounts are abound in this season and all the attractions and sights are still open for business.  


THINGS TO DO & SEE


Tuna Auction At Tokyo Fish Market

There is no lack of things to do in and around Tokyo.   Tokyo is an eclectic mix of old and new that seems to have it all:  shopping, entertainment, culture, and dining.







While you're there, make sure to see:
Shubuya Station - Famous Intersection
All lights turn red & pedestrians take over for awhile!

  • Shinkjuku (The Skyscraper District including offices, shopping and nightlife)
  • Tokyo Fish Market (Largest & busiest in the world with live tuna auctions!)
  • Ginza Neighborhood (A shopping paradise)
  • Take in a Sumo Tournament or Sing Karaoke!
  • Meiji Shrine (Ancient place of worship)
  • Yoyogi Park (Entertaining street talent)
  • Shibuya Station (Famous Intersection)
  • Daimaru Department Store (10th Floor Kimono Shop)
  • Tokyo Disney
  • Take a ride on the Shinkansen "Bullet Train"



THE FOOD OF TOKYO

My son enjoying a meal of conveyor belt sushi.
You must try - it's just so much fun!

For my son and I, Japanese food is the type of cuisine we can always agree on when dining out.   We first discovered that he liked Japanese food on our first trip to the Oregon Coast, in one of my favorite towns named Seaside.  He fell in love with miso soup (fermented soybean), chicken katsu, and gyoza (pot stickers).   His fondness of rice; however, was already deeply rooted in place.  Below are some foods that Japan is famous for:


  • Gyoza (Potstickers)
  • Ramen, Soba & Udon Noodles
  • Sushi (Oh, glorious sushi.  How do I love thee?)
  • Tempura (Veggies/shrimp battered in Panko)
  • Rice, rice & more rice (Again)
  • Yakitori (Grilled meats on a stick)
  • Tonkatsu (Pork cutlets breaded & fried)


For Tokyo dining, you will have a lot of options available to you such as formal restaurants featuring ethnic or even International food, food stalls known as Yatai you may see on the street or at festivals, and a fair share of vending machines as well offering everything from drinks and ice cream to cameras.

Shabu Shabu Dining



For restaurants, the only problem will be deciding what to have.   There are plenty of sushi restaurants to choose from, both sushi bars and conveyor sushi pictured above.   There are also noodle houses specializing in soba, udon, or ramen noodles served in a broth whose recipe may have been crafted over several generations, Gyudon (inexpensive fast food bowls), Sukiyaki and shabu-shabu (hot pot restaurants), Teppanyaki (my favorite), which my son and I refer to as Benihana-style - our favorite Japanese restaurant in Las Vegas.    

Don't stop now, finish it off with some Mochi ice cream!   Green tea is my personal favorite, but they have a number of different flavors.   It's basically a pounded and sweet rice ball that has been filled with ice cream.  I don't know what it is about them, but they are delicious, fun, and addictive too.




Thanks for visiting beautiful Japan with me, specifically the exciting city of Tokyo.  I think you can see why the beauty of the Orient has attracted me for so long.  It's definitely tops on my wishlist and I have a feeling it might be tops on yours too.   How could it not be?   Sayonara Tokyo.  I hope to see you in person soon.  Until then, I guess I'll just have to watch Memoirs of a Geisha to feast upon some of the beautiful scenery and visit the yummy Japanese restaurants in my own neck of the woods!






We're winding down on our food lovers exploration, but we're not done yet.  Next, we're off to Barcelona, Spain mi amigos.   Tapas and paella and gazpacho.....oh my!   I sure hope you'll come along.  

Adios for now!



No comments:

Post a Comment